Divorce & Separation

Divorce & Separation

Our Specialist Matrimonial team advise on all areas following the breakdown of a relationship, to include -

  • Divorce and dissolution of civil partnerships
  • Financial & property matters
  • Pre-nuptial Agreements
  • Maintenance
  • Co-Habitation

We offer a free, no obligation, initial consultation.

Should you require a quotation for our fixed rate Divorce or information on our fee structures for any matter please call Stewarts Solicitors on Freephone 0800 783 6125 or contact us (link to contact page) We will also advise on your eligibility for legal aid, should you wish same to be explored.

Divorce or Dissolution of civil partnership

We understand that separation/divorce is generally a very difficult time in a person’s life, with heightened emotions, especially when there are children involved. Our Matrimonial are sensitive to your needs during this difficult time, and work with you to resolve your divorce/financial matters with empathy and efficiency. We adopt a pragmatic, solution focused approach.

Our Matrimonial Team include Collaborative lawyers, trained specifically and are therefore committed to constructive resolution of family disputes through non-confrontational communication.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here our experienced divorce solicitors and separation solicitors answer some of the most frequently asked questions during our initial free solicitor consultation.

To obtain a divorce you must demonstrate to the Court that your marriage has “irretrievably broken down”. This is broken down into 5 potential grounds –

  1. 2 years Separation with the other Spouses consent
  2. 5 years Separation, no consent required
  3. Unreasonable behaviour
  4. Adultery
  5. Desertion

In Northern Ireland a divorce or dissolution of civil partnership may only be presented to the court after the parties have been married or in a civil partnership for a period of two years.

Once this is established, we then consider what ground is available to that particular client by gauging how long they have been separated & the reason for the breakdown of the relationship.

In Northern Ireland there are 5 grounds for a Divorce, with the Dissolution of a Civil partnerships having all but the Adultery ground similarly available-

Those grounds consist of 2 non fault based grounds - that is 2 years separation with consent. This ground is therefore reliant on the other Spouse consenting to the Divorce & the parties must be separated at least 2 years.

The second non fault ground would be 5 years- therefore simply citing the parties have separated more than 5 year, in this instance no consent being required.

The remaining grounds are fault based and can be issued immediately following the parties separation, once you have been married for the required 2 years.

These grounds are-

Unreasonable behaviour, Adultery or Desertion.

This is not always necessary. We seek to protect same where possible, should this be our client’s priority. Other options may be –

  1. one party buying the other party out
  2. offsetting against other assets or
  3. the home not being sold until the youngest child is aged 18.

Again, specific advice will be required in each individual circumstance, same being considered in the context of the overall finances.

Other Services

Card image cap

Road Transport Law

Road Haulage Lawyers

Stewarts Solicitors is your trusted partner in the complex world of road haulage law. With extensive experience and an impressive track record in this field, we've earned the confidence of private haulage companies in Northern Ireland, as well as the key trade organisations. We offer dedicated expert legal services to address the unique challenges of the road transport sector.

Road Transport Expertise You Can Rely On

Our dedicated transport team is equipped to provide comprehensive advice and representation in both civil and criminal law. Our mission is to ensure that you are well-informed and well-prepared, offering guidance in all aspects of transport law.

Comprehensive Road Haulage Legal Support

Our services encompass advice, preparation and representation in:

  • Legal advice for Road Hauliers: We provide expert guidance on all aspects of Road Haulage and transport law, ensuring that you are aware of your rights and obligations.
  • Legal representation: Whether your case requires intervention in the County Court, High Court or Magistrates Court. We are here to represent your interests diligently and effectively.
  • Public Inquiries
  • Operator Licences
  • Preliminary and Driver Conduct Hearings
  • Traffic Commissioner Appeals
  • DVSA or Police Investigations

Serving the Road Haulage Industry for Years

Stewarts Solicitors has been a steadfast legal partner to various organisations within the road transport industry. Our client panel includes high profile members of the Road Haulage Association (RHA), as well as independent haulage operators. Our extensive experience in this sector has made us the first choice for established road haulage businesses and those aspiring to establish their own enterprises in Northern Ireland.

Navigating Complexity of Road Haulage Law

The road haulage industry is constantly evolving and recent developments, such as Brexit, have introduced a new layer of complexity. To operate successfully in this environment, it is essential that all transport operators seek specialist legal advice on compliance. Stewarts Solicitors stands as a pillar of support in navigating these challenges. We have an in-depth understanding of the regulatory landscape and are well-equipped to provide cost-efficient, effective solutions that help ensure your compliance with the law.

Your Trusted Northern Ireland Transport Law Legal Partners

If your business is facing legal questions or concerns in the realm of transport law and regulation, Stewarts Solicitors is here to provide the answers you need. Our dedicated team is committed to serving your best interests with dedication, expertise and professionalism. Your success is our priority.

Contact us today to learn how we can assist you in a comprehensive and cost-efficient manner.

Learn More...
Card image cap

Data Privacy & Protection

Experts in data protection and privacy

If you have been the victim of a data protection breach or incident, please contact with Stewarts Solicitors. We are experts in the field and can help you explore your entitlement to compensation.

Contact Stewarts Solicitors

Our initial consultations are free of charge and obligation free. Please contact us to arrange an initial meeting.

Learn More...
Card image cap

Personal Injury

Personal Injury is used to describe any type of injury you suffer due to someone else’s lack of care and attention or negligent behaviour.

Personal Injury claims usually arise from someone else’s negligence and can involve many different situations such as an accident at work, a slip, trip or fall, or being involved in a car accident. The resulting injury can be serious and life-changing, with long term health and financial implications.

Our personal injury solicitors have secured compensation in many different types of personal injury actions.

Road Traffic Accidents

You can claim compensation for road traffic accident injuries if the accident was caused by the fault of another motorist, person or party. You can claim compensation if you were injured as a driver, a passenger, and a pedestrian or if you were riding a motorbike a bicycle or a horse at the time of the accident. You can also claim if you are partly to blame for the accident.

Accident & Injury at Work

When at work you expect to be in an environment where the proper measures have been taken by your employer to adhere to Statutory Duties to protect you in the workplace, whether it be an office, factory or your place of trade. If you have sustained an injury as a result of an accident at work it can be daunting to know where to begin in making a claim for compensation against your employer.

Injuries in Public Places

All companies have a duty of care to visitors to their premises, including members of the public or employees from other companies, to ensure that they are not at risk of injury while visiting them. If it can be proved that insufficient Health & Safety provisions were made; then you may well be entitled to get compensation.

Councils also have a responsibility to ensure that all pavements, roads and bridle paths are clear of defects and well-maintained to avoid accidents.

Injuries Abroad

Unfortunately a large number of people fall victim to an accident abroad, contracting an illness or suffering from an unforeseen injury. Any accident, illness or injury suffered of holiday can of course cause pain and upset, and in addition, often results in disruption to the remaining time spent abroad. However in circumstances such as these there are laws in place to protect those who are the victim of an incident abroad which occurred as the result of circumstances outside of their control.

Asbestos Related Illnesses

Asbestos can be very dangerous. It does not present a health risk if it is undisturbed, but if material containing asbestos is chipped, drilled, broken or allowed to deteriorate, it can release a fine dust that contains asbestos fibres.

Sexual & Physical Abuse

We do understand how extremely difficult it is to come forward and talk about any sexual or physical abuse that you or a close family member has suffered. We know how traumatic the recollection of events can be, and our solicitors will do all they can to ensure that you feel safe and secure throughout the claims process.

In any abuse claim, the abuse of trust can be the most difficult aspect to come to terms with. If you have been subjected to abuse from someone who was in a position of trust, such as a carer, parent or professional, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Hearing Loss Claims

Noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) also known as Industrial Hearing Loss, is a work related condition that results in the loss of hearing (often over a prolonged period of time) as a consequence of a person’s working environment. Hearing loss often appears years, if not decades later from the original exposure meaning many people do not identify their work as the cause.

Learn More...
Card image cap

Motoring & Criminal

Stewarts Solicitors has a long tradition of skilled representation in criminal proceedings. We provide essential advice and representation in all local criminal Courts and at Police Stations.

In this area of law, it is essential that clients are able to rely upon the skill and experience of their Solicitor to protect their legal rights and personal freedom at all times. Our motoring & driving law department has a highly qualified team with many years of experience.

We cover the whole of Northern Ireland an appear at criminal courts in Antrim Court Solicitors; Armagh Court Solicitors; Ballymena Court Solicitors; Banbridge Court Solicitors; Coleraine Court Solicitors; Craigavon Court Solicitors; Downpatrick Court Solicitors; Dungannon Court Solicitors; Enniskillen Court Solicitors; Laganside Court Solicitors; Magistrates Court Solicitors; Limavady Court Solicitors; Lisburn Court Solicitors; Londonderry Court Solicitors; Derry Court Solicitors; Magherafelt Court Solicitors; Newry Court Solicitors; Newtownards Court Solicitor; Omagh Court Solicitors and Strabane Court Solicitors.

Learn More...
Card image cap

Family Law

Our experienced family law department offers a full range of services to assist those going through a breakdown in their family relationship.

Many of our divorce solicitors and separation solicitors are also certified Collaborative lawyers, an organisation committed to the constructive resolution of family disputes through non-confrontational communication.

Our Family Solicitors encourage solutions that consider the needs of the whole family, in particular the best interests of any children or dependants.

Our domestic violence and protection from harassment solicitors offer a free initial consultation about domestic violence or abuse in a relationship. The law seeks to protect those people who find themselves in situations where they are subjected to such abuse. The family courts have the ability to make non-molestation and occupation orders and we can help you apply for an ‘injunction’ if you’ve been the victim of domestic violence.

Many of our children law solicitors are accredited members of the Children Order Panel. Our children lawyers are experienced in assisting parents and guardians of children by providing sound, clear advice on the legal requirements and the legal remedies available in relation to parental responsibility, contact and residence of children, together with Prohibited Steps Orders and Specific Issue Orders. We can also assist in Private Law proceedings, if you are applying to adopt a child, or if you are objecting to someone trying to adopt your child.

Learn More...


"Many thanks to John Beattie who undoubtedly was a huge credit to me for fighting on my behalf for a RTA. John was very pleasant, professional and client centred which gave me a lot of hope and trust within the process of my case. I would highly recommend and I will undoubtedly keep John in my contacts in case of any needed further assistance."

"I have had the opportunity to use the expertise of the team at Stewarts several times over the past 2 years. I have always found them helpful, prompt and willing to explain things without the jargon. They will definitely be my first call in future. Thanks to Victoria for the most recent assistance. Professional, friendly and kind in helping me navigate my way through another process. First class service."

"I have nothing but praise for John Beatty who took excellent care of my case for compensation after a serious road traffic accident. Even through the covid lockdowns he always kept in touch personally with me with updates. He worked tirelessly and ensured an excellent settlement which I was pleasantly surprised with. I thoroughly recommend John and Stewart Solicitors and cannot thank him enough."

"Received a fantastic service courtesy of John Beatty at Stewarts Solicitors. Made the entire process a breeze with excellent communication throughout. Will be using John as my solicitor in the future, cannot recommend highly enough."

“My Solicitor was very informative and always kept me up to date on the progress of the case.”

“I was very impressed with the professionalism of the firm. All staff I spoke to were courteous and very pleasant to deal with at all times. All correspondence was handled and processed very quickly.”

“My Solicitor was very good explaining my case and was friendly to speak with when dealing with my claim.”

“Excellent service, my family are no strangers to this firm.”

“My Solicitor was extremely polite and friendly. Great communication and very helpful.”

“Very Polite and dealt with the utmost of efficiency.”

"John Beatty at Stewarts Solicitors took on an employment case on my behalf. The case lasted 2 years, and during that time I found John very professional and client centred. He listened, and advocated for me in a manor that exceeded my expectations. I was kept informed at every stage of every development in a timely manor. I am nothing but grateful that John took on my case and acted on my behalf. In my opinion, John is asset to Stewart's solicitors, and I would have no hesitation in using there services in the future. Stewart's solicitors also dealt with the sale and the purchase of my house, and again the whole experience was stress free from beginning to end. Five stars...."

"Excellent. The staff here are so helpful. Would recommend"

"Stewart’s have just settled a personal injury claim for me during which the insurer was being pragmatic and refusing to make an offer, John sorted this out and resulted in me being offered a fair amount for the injury caused."

arrow next arrow prev